My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbia, MO, United States

All images (c) Elisa Day, 2010, unless otherwise indicated.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy Christmas and All That...

Well, it's Christmas time again. And I am finally done for the semester - although I won't be getting much of a break. Just a week, and then I get to take my qualifying exam. Ah! But I think I'll do OK - just have to keep my head.

And since it's Christmas time, tis the season for the Christmas movie... I love how they seem to show them all over the place - with that 'special' theme of family and being together. Of course, there's the Xmas romance - I did see one good one this year - 'A Boyfriend for Christmas' - that was a good one, with an intelligent relationship. Not the stupid: Guy's a jerk but she falls in love with him any way.' She softens his heart and brings out his good side. Gag me. I hate love stories like that - where the guy is a jerk, treats the girl like crap, and yet, she's intrigued. Where's the self respect?! And intelligence? Why don't women demand, through their actions, respect?

Okay, I'm about to tirade. Because I see it over and over again - where women get treated like crap because they put up with it... They have to rescue some guy, so they stay in relationships that are horrible... And because they don't demand anything better, men think that they can get away with it.

One thing I know, that is not going to be me. I am not going to be the wife that, after a hard day's work, comes home and makes dinner and does all the chores, while my husband sits on the couch.

Boy, how did I get off onto that one? Guess it's been on my mind. Such the Christmas spirit. I've watched a lot of movies with Santa being real. And miracles will happen! Because special things happen at Christmas.

Watching these movies made me miss my grandmother - she's only been gone a year and a half. Gosh, we used to have these huge Christmas gatherings. Grandma & Grandpa, their 3 boys, their grandchildren (8), and extended family. Everyone around the dinner table. And chaos. Inevitably, my uncle Dick and my cousing Doug argue, or my dad argues with them. My stepmother gets stressed out, so she's grumpy. My dad does stupid little things which only annoy her further, and so she glares at him across the table. And my grandma ends up crying over something.

One Christmas, I went to my best friend's house, and Christmas day, with at least as many people in the house - I had this 'whoa' moment, because no one was fighting. How can this be? Ah, the turbulence that is my family.

I am going to my family's in Maine. Yay! Snow! If I was going to my Aunt Gayle's, I'd inevitably get sick, most likely with the flu. It has happened to me the last 3 times I've been there for Christmas. One year, I had at least 102* temperature and just slept for 2 days. But I should be healthy this year. At least I hope so - because of quals.

But, I get to be with my family for Christmas, so it will be a good time. Yay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home